柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trials can lead to good change

Hello my wonderful family,
How are you this week? I am glad to see that all went well with Rebecca's play and that Jeff had a great day on his birthday. I love being able to serve others. I have really seen a great change in myself as I have worked hard to focus on others. It has been a great blessing to my studies this week.
This week we were able to meet with Z.Y. again. He said that he saw the BYU website and how the tuition fee is very low. He was excited since his family has a hard time paying for his education. He then saw that if you are a member that the tuition is even lower. He is now more interested than before to learn about the church but we are working to make sure he truly learns the importance of the gospel and doesn't just join to receive a lower cost in schooling.

As we taught him this week we were really trying to learn of his needs and concerns with regard to the gospel. After learning of some concerns we taught him about the importance of prayer and the blessings that come from praying every day. When we invited him to pray every day he said he couldn't promise. He said the most he could promise was 3 days a week. We kept pushing to help him really commit to every day and he finally said okay. Then we asked him to say a prayer with us at the end of the lesson, which he did. It is difficult to teach him because he is very set on making sure he gets good schooling, a good job, and a wife. We are working to help him see what goals Heavenly Father has for him and where he can go if he only accepts those goals as his own. Z.Y. is a great young man. I ask that you pray for his heart to be softened towards the invitations we extend and his mind to be enlightened with an eternal perspective. We will continue to study for him and strive to teach him how he can attain eternal life, which is the ultimate goal.
We were also able to sit down with a member this week named A.R. He has had some struggles in life that have caused him to not be very active in the church. We are now working to understand his concerns and challenges. During our meeting we asked about his doubts and he shared some concerns he had with us. Through the scriptures we were able to help him see some answers he has been looking for and invited him to search more in the scriptures. It was a good lesson and I know that it helped him a lot. We then went home and have studied for his needs.
What is interesting about studying for the needs of others is that usually they are similar to your own needs and so you as you work to help them you also grow yourself. A.R. and Z.Y. are great people and I know that they are loved by their Heavenly Father. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to work with them. I love this gospel and I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can heal us. As we allow our sins to bring us to change we will be forgiven and our needs and worries will be cared for. If we allow these sins to discourage us then we wil not be able to progress. I have learned this in my own life as I have been discouraged and weighed down with sorrow many times. When I have taken the opportunity to have these trials lead to change I have been uplifted and strengthened in my new resolve to do my best never to falter again. I know that the scriptures are true. As I read them they help me grow in my trust of Heavenly Father. I know that we have a prophet on the earth today to lead and guide us and I share this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen