柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Gift of a Child

Hello my wonderful family,

It was great to receive the photos of Robert. Just about a little while ago I thought to myself that mom had said the baby should be due any day now and that was a few weeks previous. I hadn't heard anything more and so today I was going to ask if Anne had the baby or not ;) Well he is really cute. Hello my dear nephew! :D Congratulations Matt and Anne. Sorry it's a little late.

This was a great week. We started off with great momentum and were able to keep it going through Sunday. We taught many lessons. Derrick came back from his vacation and we taught him the rest of the Plan of Salvation and continued on to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He said it was a lot to take in but in a good way. He is just like a sponge pulling in all that he can take. We met with him twice this week and taught him a little more about the commandments. This Sunday was his sister's birthday down in Oakley, CA and he attended church while out there celebrating with her. Derrick is such a great example of one who knows what he wants and is willing to give up everything else to make sure he attains it. He has learned of the truth found in the gospel and has placed it in the top priority of his life. Schuyler is also doing well. We taught him a few of the commandments this week and he committed to following them. He is also one who has felt the truth in the gospel. When asked why he wanted to be baptized, he said he wanted to make a change in his life for the better and knew that this would help him take the next step.

I enjoyed our Fast and Testimony meetings this Sunday. They were meetings infused with the Spirit and I grew in my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the power of His infinite Atonement. This weekend I pondered upon the words of one of my favorite hymns during this christmas season, What Child is This?

"What child is this who lay to rest, on Mary's lap is sleeping? whom angels greet with anthems sweet, while shepherd watch are keeping? This, this is Christ the king whom shepherd gaurd and angels sing. Haste, haste to bring him laud the babe the son of Mary."

I am grateful for the gift of a Child on Christmas. I know that He truly was the Son of God. I know that Christ was born of a virgin and that she was chosen by God for this great purpose. I know that Heavenly Father loves us, "God loved us so He sent His Son." I testify that the Atonement of Christ has power to heal me and you and if we only follow the Gospel preached by Christ we will be able to share in the blessings promised to those who endure to the end. "He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved." (2 Nephi 31:15) I love the Christmas season. Ponder the hymns that are sung during this time. They are filled with truth and as you ponder I testify that the spirit will share with you "great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures." (Doctrine and Covenants 89) I know that God lives. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sincerely,
Elder Christensen