柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Faith is like a little seed

Hello my dear family,
I have learned so very much this week that I don't know where to begin. Actually that is not true I have actually been forgetting a couple of things the past two letters and so I will start there. First, Mom and Dad I tried to cash the check but they said it would be very close and I should probably request a new one. Second, I have found out that I can have a guitar here and so, since I already have a few and don't want to buy another one, would there be some way you might be able to get my little backpacker guitar out to me. I don't want you to have to send it in the mail if that is possible (because I don't really trust them). I can wait for it so don't feel that you have to get it out the door today just in the next little while. I would just like to know if it is a possibility to either send it to me or maybe over the summer you could bring it to the US and then send it over. I really want it :) Okay now that I finally got that taken care of down to this week.
I have had an amazing week filled with trials but I learned a great deal and I am so grateful for the way my experiences have played out. I will actually have to start at the end and work towards the beginning because, as with most things, I didn't learn what I needed to until later. This week and over the whole time I have been out on my mission I have had trial after trial and hard time after hard time. But, this past Sunday while there was a discussion about Faith the Spirit suddenly filled my mind and made everything click. I thank my parents for having the inspired thoughts to send me talks about receiving revelation. I know that I would not have learned this wonderful lesson without the help of those words. Here is what I learned:
"Faith is like a little seed, when planted it will grow" (Children's Songbook) In Alma 32 the word is compared to a seed and people use their faith to plant it. When the seed "swells within" you, you have a knowledge that the word is good but it is not "a perfect knowledge." Then the seed sprouts and begins to grow and you have "a perfect knowledge" and your faith becomes "dormant" or, in other words your faith is no longer used in that thing. Now is that part where I learned something. After we have attained this knowledge is our work done? "I say unto you, Nay." We must then nourish our knowledge and allow it to grow up to a tree and bring forth fruit that is sweet and precious and fills us with joy. To be able to illustrate the nourishment I related certain types of nourishment to things that we are asked to do.
Watering the tree - Going to church and receiving revelation.
Sunshine - Scripture Study and Prayer.
Fertilizing - Serving others according to their needs and preaching the gospel to them.
Then you think about what happens when a storm comes. When it rains, it pours. Our trials are often related to storms and during these times I know that we receive the greatest strength and growth in our lives. We are poured out blessings from heaven. In a talk given while I was at the MTC there was the phrase "don't discount the rain." This is great counsel because I know that as we do all we can we will constantly have trials but there is always an end to your storms or an eye in the hurricane of life that comes when you feel you are at the end of your rope and the storm subsides to give way for feelings of peace and happiness and then starts again. I know this because I have felt it already. Life is a roller coaster and our Heavenly Father knows how far to push us :) I love this gospel and know that it is true. I love you all and I pray for your each day. Please let Uncle Bob know that I love him and pray for him as well. He is certainly a high priority on my list and I ask you to continually bear testimony to him of the truthfulness of this gospel even if all you say is, "God is there and He loves you." Let Uncle Bob know that I know this is true as well. I will talk to you in a week.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen