柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Seeing what we and others CAN be

My dear family,
I love being able to write to you each week. The weeks simply get better and better. I find that each month I tend to focus on a different aspect of the gospel for my testimony. This month I was really able to learn a lot more about the love our Heavenly Father has and in turn I have found that my love for others has grown dramatically. As I have heard others talk about struggles and trials in their life I find myself hurting with them. As others share experiences of joy and gladness I find myself praising God. It is difficult to explain to others the feelings that I have had.

This past week was amazing. We taught 15 lessons (around 2 a day). Though all of out lessons were for the members we asked each of them to think of friends that they could invite to hear about the gospel. During each lesson there were people sharing names of family, friends, and acquaintances they could help. We shared what we could to let them see how to proceed. I felt the spirit directing my thoughts and actions and I knew that what we were sharing was what we needed to say. Whenever I felt that I wasn't sharing what was necessary, I would take some time to really think and search for a question or comment I could make that would help them. After that point the lesson seemed to guide itself. It was an incredible experience. Missionaries truly need to teach every day of their mission. They are called to teach. I would invite you to do all you can to find someone who the missionaries can help. They need the people and the experience. It will boost their confidence and make them better.

This Sunday
I heard a great quote that I can't remember but it baisically said, "If you treat a person how they are, that is all that they will be; if you treat a person for who they can become, that is who they will become." I thought that was so true. If we ever find that a person isn't kind or caring, treat them as if they are. That gives them the opportunity to fill the shoes of your expectations and step up to become a better person. From the many sports videos I have seen there is usually a young man who is found by a coach and the coach sees something great inside of him. The coach then works to make that potential come out. The young man doesn't always see why the coach pushes him so hard and chastises him but in the end that young man achieves greatness. In Miracle, the goalie is chosen because of who he can be, not who he is. The coach knew that the goalie had great potential and worked to bring it out. In the end, the team was led to victory and the goalie was strong.

Look for the good in other people. Only then can they achieve their true potential. I know that to be true. It is like the artist looking at a stone and seeing what sculpture it can be. It is as the architect looking over the San Francisco Bay and seeing a bridge crossing it. Michael Angelo saw that the Sistine Chapel ceiling would be covered in a beautiful painting before he did it. Heavenly Father saw the creation of the earth before it happened. All things were created spiritually before they were created physically. (Moses 3:5-7) If we have a vision of what we and others can become that is what we will be. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen