柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Work of the Lord is the Way to our Eternal Happiness

Hello My wonderful family!

So I am with Elder Christensen and I have had a little too much fun with a companion who understands all of my jokes :) It has been a tough week for us both but we have done our best to thrust in our sickles with our might.

When I got here I was shocked again to see that the Area Books were in similar shape to both Cupertino and Fremont before I left. We have been taking time organizing. I am the only Chinese missionary, right now, who has been to all three areas of the mission and I think I know why. Whenever I move I find that there isn't much organization and so I clean and organize everything. Then once it is all in place we are able to start again and work to do the Lord's work in the way He desires.

We are serving in both a chinese branch and a Singles Ward. It was interesting to be at church for about 7 hours on sunday since the services and meetings for each overlap. I am excited for these areas though. There is great potential here and we have been thinking hard and pondering what we can do to find both Chinese and Singles in this area. It is difficult since tracting is already not very effective and yet only about 10% of the houses we could tract are Chinese or Single in almost any given area. This makes tracting even less of an option in our finding efforts. It has been a similar story with street contacting and so we are thinking of how to really involve the members in our area. This is the only other option.

We have thought of a few ideas that will help to increase the amount of teaching we have each week and give members the opportunity to invite friends to lessons. That is the most effective finding tool we have, members referrals. Through the members we will be able to give investigators "an immediate support system" in the words of President Hinckley, and help members also see the fruits of their labors. This will enable the members to be more excited about missionary work as the spirit fills their home. I know that the work of the Lord is the only way to our Eternal happiness. Through the work of the Lord we are able to achieve our deepest desires and give others the same opportunity. I know that Jesus is the Christ and I am very grateful for the opportunity to be in His service. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen