柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My special experience

Hello my loving Family,
You met Brother JUANG! :) That is very cool. They are a wonderful family. Sister Shen is his mother in law right?
Well I also met someone that I hope Dad remembers. Her name is Sister Su. She worked with Dad when we lived in Taiwan before with conducting the Christmas Choir. She plays the piano and sings very well. But I think she said that back then she wasn't a member of the church. She is now :) She will be in Taiwan for a little while so you might be able to see her too.
I have a special experience to share with you and because of time I will need to just copy it from the email I wrote to my mission president. I wrote:
Dear President Jackson,

I now understand why I had trouble last week. This week we worked with our new investigator David and he committed to being baptized. He also had a hard time this last Sunday and wasn't able to come to church but I felt that we should go see David during church. Right after sacrament meeting we left and drove to David's home. We called just outside since it was a homeless shelter and we weren't certain where to find him. He picked up and said that he really didn't want to talk right now and he needed a couple of days just to get his head back on his shoulders then hung up. We sat there uncertain of exactly what to do and so we said a prayer together. We prayed for guidance and direction in how to help David and afterwards we both felt that we couldn't just sit in the car and wait. So we went in the shelter and David was there he expressed what had happened and I asked, "What can we do to help?" He said he wasn't sure and Elder Christensen (the younger) asked if we could sit and have a discussion. David accepted and during our discussion we testified of Christ and invited David to put greater trust in our Heavenly Father by reading the scriptures and saying prayers. We continued our conversation and felt the we should say a prayer. We asked David to offer the prayer and he said he wasn't sure. I suggested that we all say an individual prayer aloud. David accepted and started to pray. Elder Christensen then prayed asking Heavenly Father to help strengthen David in his trials. I then felt prompted to bless David in my prayer and did so. After our prayers the Spirit was brought strongly into the conversation and David sat for a couple of seconds in silence with a surprised look in his face. He then changed in the way that he spoke and was able to see in what way God could comfort him. We testified again of the truthfulness of the Atonement and he expressed gratitude for our coming over. He said that he should do some more reading and prayer and I am certain that he did as he went back to his room before leaving on his walk. I was grateful I followed the promptings of the Spirit and I know that because of this experience David was also able to attend the Musical Fireside and feel even more deeply the peace and comfort that comes from the spirit. I know that the power of the Atonement is real and I know that Jesus Christ understands our needs perfectly. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I know that David is special and I know that all things are done in wisdom. I was able to finish reading the Book of Mormon today and I loved every page. I found that the more I read the more I was sucked into the pages of history. I felt the pains of the prophets as their people fell away. I felt the joy that each had in being able to see their people progress and grow in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Also, I learned greatly from the many sermons and visions that were written just for us in this time. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and I know that it is by faith that miracles are wrought among the children of men. If we have faith, we have everything; If we don't have faith, we have nothing because only with faith are we able to progress. I know that Jesus is the Christ in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen