柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Monday, December 27, 2010

Being Filled with Joy from Head to Toe


Hello my beautiful family,

I am so happy I was able to skype with you too. And I am grateful to Heavenly Father allowing me to also have the privilege of speaking with Tanner. It was exciting to hear your voices. So I have thought of something I think I neglected to write you about and I feel bad.

A couple of transfers ago I was sitting in the transfer meeting and a missionary stood up to read a scripture. He looked oddly familiar so I tried thinking of how I knew him. I thought, "that looks like Joshua Yarn." Then I thought, "no it couldn't be." I kept trying to look back at him inconspicuously as I know he was also trying to look at me. I kept going back and forth. Then after the meeting he came over and said, "Hey Elder Christensen!" I saw his name tag and sure enough it said "Elder Yarn". We talked for a little bit and he told me about the rest of our group from Maryland. It was very cool. He was sent here to wait for his Visa to South America. I think it was Brazil but I might be mistaken. It was fun to see him.
There you go. What a small world :)

Elder Ng is great. He is a very humble man ready and willing to do what he needs to do to serve the Lord. I know that he is blessed for his service. He is the only member of the church in his family! His parents didn't support his decision for a mission at first, so Elder Ng prayed for 6 months and when he had to go his family was supportive. He is such a wonderful missionary! I have seen good seeds being planted by our service in this area recently. There have been more people to talk to. More people are accepting and we are now striving to plant seeds of missionary work in the hearts of all the members by teaching them the lessons contained in preach my gospel. I am excited for the work that will come. The preparations we are making now might not provide fruit for our personal service, but I know that the missionaries who do reap the fruit of our labors have potential for a bountiful harvest. Continue to pray for us as we strive to help this area grow. We have many goals and can now only hope that our efforts lead towards achieving them. There are many wonderfully spiritually strong families in the Ward here and I know that as we are able to help them they will reap a bountiful harvest. "The field is white, all ready to harvest and lo he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not but bringeth salvation to his soul" ( The Scriptures ;) ). We are striving to put the gears in motion and sharpen the sickles of all. I love this work and I know that there are many blessings that come from our being willing to serve the Lord. His promises are sure. I have changed a lot of my bad habits into good and I know that we as a companionship are being blessed for it. I love the Lord and I know that he lives.

Quick story: Just recently I was lazy in my work and because of fear I allowed myself to be complacent and remain in my comfort zone. The work that we were doing didn't really progress because I didn't progress. My companion and I slowed each other down. It was hard to pick up the pace again. But, I decided I didn't want to be slow to act any more. I didn't want to be complacent any more. I was scared to death again in talking to others and in sharing the gospel with them. I also didn't know what to do to help remove this fear and sharpen my ability to speak with others. But I know that because I simply had a desire to do the work my Heavenly Father helped to make up for my weaknesses. He has been changing me ever since and I am ever grateful to His guidance.

As Alma says in Alma 32:27 "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words." I desired to work effectively and I believed that I could. I also belived that Heavenly Father would help me and so I took a few steps in the right direction and placed my hand in His. I know that Heavenly Father desires to guide us and I know that He is guiding me now. "I am a Child of God, His promises are sure Celestial Glory shall be mine if I can but endure." (Children's Songbook) I know that this gospel is true. I love you all.

We will be meeting with Jennifer this coming Wednesday and her brother should be there. Please pray that we may be guided by the Spirit to know how best to help her gain an answer to her prayers. Also, pray that she may open her heart and mind to the gospel by using the faith of a mustard seed. As she does so her mountain of fear will be removed and her pathway shall be made straight and true.

Pray for David. He is still striving to hold to the rod. He knows that the only joy that is eternal comes from living the gospel. Pray that he may continue to clear his life of all that causes his sadness and progress to being filled with joy from head to toe. I know that the gospel has power to cleanse our lives. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen