柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

柯 长老 (aka Elder Christensen)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Better Grasp of Who I Am

Hello my amazing family,
You all look huge in comparison to my memory ;) Wow it's amazing how time flies. I love being able to be on a mission. I know that the trials I am having now are refining me and turning me into a much better tool in the hands of the Lord. It can be easy to be reluctant to change, but I hope that I will allow Heavenly Father's will to be done and I am sure that it will turn out better than I ever could imagine. I was able to have a great 4th of July with a big breakfast and dinner. Some of our English Class members were able to attend and the members did a great job in accepting them and sparking their interest a little more in learning about the gospel. Most of the English Class students think that all of our time is spent teaching english and we are working to change this thought and help them to understand that we bear a message of truth that can bless their lives and their families lives eternally. I know that the scriptures can play a large part in helping others to come unto Christ. We have seen it happen to Pan Zheng Yu as he now has a baptismal date for July 30th. He has said that he will work towards it and we are striving to help him make a solid commitment to baptism through helping him understand the scriptures and the doctrines of the gospel. "True doctrine understood changes lives..." (President Boyd K. Packer) I am learning more and more about the truth contained in this quote. As I have gained understanding of the doctrines of the gospel I have seen treamendous growth and change, even in areas I thought it would be very difficult for me to change. As Pan Zheng Yu has understood the doctrines of the gospel, he has been more willing to come to church and participate in personal prayer and scripture study. Pan Zheng Yu loved being able to attend church two weeks ago and when we were able to meet with him this past week he said that he had been reading the scriptures and praying every day. It was a miracle! He was also much happier than before and much more excited to be able to see us. I love being able to work with him. We are planning on calling him each day this week to help him be sure to read and pray since he wasn't able to come to church with us. We are excited for him!!
We have been trying to get a hold of Brad this week and unfortunately he hasn't been responsive. We hope that he will be able to meet with us this Thursday. We met last week and he said that he wasn't sure about meeting anymore. We then worked to help him understand the invitation of Alma in the Book of Mormon to experiment upon the word. Afterwards I felt he was still unsure, but he said that we could come back this Thursday. We met a man from Russia this week. He came to our english class and we weren't exactly sure how to teach him english, but his english was pretty good. We invited him out to basketball that night so that he could meet a few of the members and he said he wanted to come. We helped him get into the game and then sat on the sidelines while he played. It was cool to see him there and our Ward Mission Leader invited him to come to church. He said that for the 4th of July he would be gone but maybe the week after. The man's name is Ivan and we hope to be able to get a Russian Book of Mormon for him to read and ponder.
I have learned a lot about myself this week and I feel that I have a better grasp of who I am and how I can help myself to change. I know that this understanding has come from the trials I have been in and I know that this is the hand of the Lord working in my life. Heavenly Father understands what He wants me to be and I know that the Atonement can help to change me. I know that there is great power in the Atonement. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen